Greenock telegraph sports personality of the year betting

Published 12.02.2020 в Analyse forex euro franc suisse

greenock telegraph sports personality of the year betting

It is a fitting choice for Porsche's 70th anniversary year as the first sports car appeared in The term “Scottish Cote d'Azur”. After demobilisation from the army in and a two-year agricultural degree He was a notable sportsman, gaining a wartime blue for Rugby and becoming. Sandra Ann Catherine Stevenson was born on July 27 at Greenock in Scotland. Her father, a naval officer, was stationed there. BTC SECOND MERIT LIST 2022

The Subscription Room is open from eight in the morning till nine in the evening. In it had 1, members, mostly working men, who paid 24s 0d a year subscription. The news-room, used principally in the evenings at the end of the working day, was the busiest and most expensive of its facilities. Electric telegraph news of any importance, and the prices of English and Foreign funds and railway shares, are received and posted in the rooms at different hours of the day for the exclusive inspection of Subscribers.

The subscription in was annually 26s 0d, half-yearly 15s 0d, quarterly 10s 6d, monthly 6s 0d and for a week 2s 6d. The last and largest of such facilities was the Lombard Exchange and News Room that opened for business on January 1, It occupied the ground floor of the huge City Offices building at Lombard Street, on the corner with Gracechurch Street, built in It possessed a business and news-room of 7, square feet, its own telegraph instrument room, a dining-room and luncheon-bar at one end, with a smaller writing room upstairs.

Individuals could also use it as their place of business, able to deal in shares and stock and commodities on its floor. During the Liverpool Stock Market was complaining about the irregularity of the exchange intelligence it was receiving and negotiated a lower subscription.

In April , the Manchester Stock Market followed suit. It is worth noting that the railway share market on the Liverpool exchange was greater in volume at this time than London, and that Manchester was a strong third in the seven English stock and share markets. The Electric was quoting the Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds stock market prices as well as those of London in its exchange news circulated to provincial subscribers during ; a service seized upon by stock speculators, creating as well a new dealing speciality, the inter-market arbitrageur.

Other newspaper reporters also carried pass-books paid for by their papers rather than use cash for sending news by electric telegraph. The Electric Telegraph Company kept 40 pigeons at its Chichester station to carry messages from Goodwood. The Company was remarkably enthusiastic about supporting horse racing. Special wires were opened in the early s to temporary telegraph offices in the grandstands at the fashionable courses of York, Chester, Doncaster and Epsom, even to lowly Brighton, on race days for press reports, tipsters and betting.

But, as with aristocratic Goodwood, the headquarters of racing, Newmarket, would have none of it; messages had to be sent and received at the railway station. The Company even offered specially reduced rates from race courses in September Coincidentally, C V Boys, superintendent of the Intelligence Department, was said to take a close interest in racing information William Ruff provided the telegraph company with all the horse racing results he compiled daily for sending to the provincial press.

When the government tried to suppress off-course betting-offices in January the Electric Telegraph Company stopped reporting racing results for some years. The printing and distribution of papers on the Sabbath was forbidden, if not illegal. It was also forwarding news to news-rooms, hotels and individual journalists. By December the Intelligence Department was contracted to supply information to newspapers and to 99 institutions with news-rooms.

Latterly, when other telegraph companies joined the news pool in , the Scottish press preferred the Hughes type printer on their circuits. The Dublin wires were provided by the Magnetic. In the outermost of these rooms is arranged the electric telegraph apparatus — three round discs with finger-stops sticking out from them like concertina stops, and a needle pointing to alphabetic letters on the surface of the dial.

They originally undertook this to generate publicity rather than as a general service. However from March the British Telegraph Company, which acquired the European concern, continued the provision and extended it to subscribing newspapers in the north of the country, providing a single daily Telegraphic Despatch of foreign news from Havas. The Magnetic Telegraph Company managed news on a different model. Firstly, it offered recognised news correspondents a day rate of 6d for nine words between any two stations or a night-message rate for long despatches of one-tenth that for the public.

It achieved the latter through a News Exchange in Liverpool to which all the subscribers contributed and from which a consolidated, common news selection was received in return. It also had paid agents, news-collectors and parliamentary reporters. The Magnetic company performed a great telegraphic news feat during the evening of Sunday, December 27, This was twice the length of the previous longest message.

Reuter retained the right to despatch foreign, commercial and shipping news to the much larger and wealthier London daily and evening papers and his private subscribers within fifteen miles of London. In February the United Kingdom company joined the Intelligence Department pool; the revenues were divided up in proportion to their total public message turnover. There was a warning code for Special Express Messages for news of the greatest importance that gave them priority over all others.

The telegraph companies had the papers subscribe to separate contracts, over and above those for intelligence, to receive valuable sporting news and results. According to government reports in the Intelligence Department sent news to subscribers, including newspapers, in towns. Outside of the daily General Intelligence by subscription the Intelligence Rates by the combined companies for Special Messages in were; between 7am and 7pm, the tariff rates but allowing 30 words rather than 20 words, and half rate for the next 15 words and above rather than 10; between 7pm and 7am, the tariff rates but allowing 40 words rather than 20 words, and half rates for 20 words rather than There was a word limit on copy sent, unless previously authorised by London.

To avoid hoaxes prepayment in cash or stamps was required by most newspapers. These were provided in books with tear-off slips that authorised the sender to transmit up to words of news on account rather than for cash. The companies refused to extend this privilege to the hundreds of provincial newspapers as it would have been too open to fraud.

The passes were printed on different coloured stock for each newspaper and around six pass books were issued to each paper. There were two types of agreement for Special Wires in By one contract they were available from any of the three central stations of the combined telegraph companies between 7pm and 3 am. The companies provided the staff, messengers and stationery. The rate charged on these wires was the tariff rate but with 60 words allowed instead of 20, and half-rate for every subsequent 30 words rather than 10 words.

The telegraph office at all these places was kept open at night to receive news, whether daily or once or twice a week, dependent on the frequency of the paper. Separately from the press, the Intelligence Department continued to provide information on annual contract to public and private news rooms in the provinces, for clubs, hotels, exchanges and institutes.

The clubs in London receive, every half hour, intelligence of the general proceedings of Parliament. A visit to any one of these political or commercial centres will illustrate at once the vast importance, as well as the immense public convenience of this organisation. Wherever there is any considerable gathering of individuals, whether for a permanent or a temporary purpose, the wires of the Company have to be placed in their midst, and special arrangements have to be made for the conveyance of the intelligence arising from the gathering.

Whilst at school he was sporting as well as academically successful. Physically large from the age of 13 he played as hooker for the 1st XV and a southern county whilst still in his junior years. He arrived as a fully formed player aged 13, and remained that size throughout his time at Marlborough, whilst we very slowly caught up.

He was then called to the English Bar, Inner Temple in Switching from the law to stockbroking, his first employment was at Hoare Govett in London. In he moved to Monaco as a director responsible for the family office Kewson Holdings, investing primarily in global equities, currencies, derivatives and some private equity.

Outside of work Hinson was an avid global traveller with an extremely active lifestyle. Trained as a certified scuba diving instructor, pistol marksman, marathon runner, explorer, mountaineer - he scaled Everest a number of times, not quite to the top. Hinson was Malaysian with a British education. He was quick witted, with a sharp enquiring mind, and an infectious laugh. A true global citizen, he spoke fluent French, Italian, Spanish and Mandarin. He loved good food and experienced the best cuisine wherever he was in the world, and the cheaper the better.

Value for Money was his motto. Not only was he a qualified cordon bleu chef, and also achieved grade 8 piano. Hinson was diagnosed with cancer more than 10 years ago, but was successful in fighting it several times, until more recently.

Sarcoma took hold and despite trying all manner of treatments, in the UK, Singapore and US, over the last two years he was fighting a losing battle. In June Hinson married for the first time, in a beautiful setting in Cap Ferrat surrounded by all of his friends.

I was his best man and managed the situation as best I could. Many people were shocked to see such a vital man somewhat depleted and in a wheel chair. He had kept it from most. The following week he flew to the Wellington hospital in St Johns Wood and had several more treatments over the next 5 months.

He died surrounded by his closest friends and family. It was an honour to have been there for him through the difficult times, as well as all the good over so many years. He remained engaged in public debate until the end of his life. Who should decide the design of the housing estates into which rehoused tenants should move? Who other than the tenants?

Who should manage their estates or, where possible, own them? Who else but the tenants, at least in a major way? What discretion should officials have in deciding on the benefits claimants should receive? None, or nearly none, he argued in a fierce debate with Richard Titmuss, his colleague at the London School of Economics. Claimants should have clearly defined statutory rights. In his later years he became a strong supporter of advocacy on behalf of marginalised or disempowered groups.

His book Speaking to Power is an eloquent account of the advocacy movement that was to bear fruit in Scotland. Son of Ruth nee Singer and Vernon Donnison, he was born in Yenangyaung, the town in Burma Myanmar where his father was a colonial administrator. David went to Marlborough college and then Magdalen College, Oxford.

He told the story of this colonial family, of Burma and his early life in a revealing account, Last of the Guardians Perhaps it was this background that gave him the quiet assurance with which he could tell permanent secretaries and senior politicians, with great courtesy, that they were just wrong and why that was so.

He went on to become an assistant lecturer at Manchester University , where he produced his thesis, published as The Neglected Child and the Social Services He then had a spell as a lecturer at Toronto University But Titmuss, just appointed to the new chair of social administration at LSE, was searching for someone to be his deputy as reader.

He chose David, who went on to become the second professor in the department. It was at the LSE that he began his lifelong interest in housing, cities and town planning. He obtained what was then a big grant from the Joseph Rowntree Trust to study the impact of the Rent Act which had given unscrupulous landlords such as Peter Rachman the incentive to terrify and expel tenants who had enjoyed controlled rents.

That led to The Government of Housing , which became a bestselling Pelican book. It is classic Donnison. What exactly is the housing problem? What is the demography, economics and politics of it? What do we do about it? Look beyond Britain to the generality of urban problems across Europe. He advised Richard Crossman, the new housing minister, on ways to introduce some form of fair rent policy. But his interests went well beyond housing. He was appointed to the Plowden committee on primary education and with Michael Young helped develop the idea of Educational Priority Areas, schools in deprived areas facing very particular problems that required additional resources.

Platitudinous now, perhaps, but highly controversial then. It led to their eventual demise, and managing those discussions required all his powers of patience, diplomacy and good humour, which I observed as a researcher attending its meetings. He served as deputy chairman of the Supplementary Benefits Commission and was its chairman He carried though his determination to make the powers of the commission more rights-based and spent time visiting local offices and trying to understand the issues from the perspectives of local staff and recipients.

He reflected on the deep- seated issues involved in The Politics of Poverty In he moved to Glasgow University to become professor of town and regional planning, having separated from his first wife, Jean nee Kidger , the previous year. He became increasingly in tune with Scotland, with its deeper collectivist sympathy for active government. David continued his passionate local involvement in Glasgow and in his beloved island of Easdale — communally run, as was his ideal.

Kay died in ; he is survived by four children from his first marriage and a stepdaughter. Donnison attended Marlborough College during the war and signed up for a lifetime subscription for the magazine when at Oxford University in the late 's.

He told me last month that he still had fond memories of Marlborough which provided a sort of family for him in the years when he didn't see his parents who were thousands of miles away in Burma where his father, another Malburian, was a colonial civil servant and then an army officer after the Japanese invasion. During the war years I believe that the school was evacuated for some of the time to Hampshire. My father recalled seeing a German bomber fly over the playground after a raid - possibly lost.

His time there proved to be a turbulent one, during which the US government withdrew from Unesco and the UK threatened to follow suit, eventually doing so on 5 December This was difficult for John, obliged as a public servant to follow government policy. He was educated at Marlborough college and Cambridge University and went on to undertake research in history at Yale University and the London School of Economics.

His main area of expertise was the Soviet bloc — and he built strong networks with dissidents in both Hungary and Russia, where he was the culture attache. A committed environmentalist, he campaigned for sustainable development in Oxfordshire, and planted thousands of trees on his property in the Lake District to replace those lost during the second world war.

He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Shanks, whom he married in , and their sons, Tim and Alex. Reprinted with kind permission from The Guardian Website. With the Second World War at its height but the prospect of the dreaming spires of Oxford ahead of him, Angus Mitchell could so easily have taken advantage of the option to defer serving his country and embark on his studies instead.

He had not long recovered from being wounded, the result of literally sticking his head above the parapet, and would go on to win the Military Cross for yet another example of his daring in the face of danger. Having survived the war, he would later have the honour of acting as an usher at the funeral of the man who steered the country through the darkest days of the 20th century, Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill.

He was the son of John Mitchell, who worked with the Indian Civil Service, and his wife Sheila who had served as a Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse in the Great War and been rescued from the hospital ship Britannic when it was sunk by the enemy in the Aegean Sea in November His parents met early in and married in April that year before sailing to India where Angus was born in a hill station at Ootacamund. Though he was only four when he left India, he retained some astonishingly vivid memories of the country, including a train trip to see the Ganges and a view of the Himalayas from Darjeeling.

Thanks to his ayah and other house servants he was bilingual in English and Hindustani but quickly forgot the latter after arriving in Britain in His father remained in India where his mother and baby sister Alison returned in , leaving him and his elder sister Les in the care of an aunt in Little Durford, Hampshire. Initially educated by a governess, he attended Highfield boarding school and Marlborough College where he enjoyed sports before giving them up to help with farming for the war effort.

In , whilst still at school, two events occurred: he gained a scholarship to Brasenose College, Oxford and he volunteered for the Royal Armoured Corps in He made his decision not to take advantage of the option to defer war service for a year and was called up in January , going on to The Royal Military College, Sandhurst and gaining a commission with the Inns of Court Regiment ICR.

He sailed to Normandy in the aftermath of D-Day, landing on 1 July , after being made a troop commander in B Squadron. At just 19 he was the youngest of all his men and was wounded a few weeks later when, standing in his usual position head and shoulders above the armoured car turret, he was injured by flying metal from a German shot to the periscope. He spent his 20th birthday in a Canadian Military Hospital near Bayeux where he underwent surgery to remove the shards. He continued to serve in France and Belgium as the Allies swept through, liberating the towns and villages from four years of Nazi rule.

By late September , he and his troop were reconnoitring in the Netherlands when they were ordered to halt as any vehicle movements would be attacked by the RAF. He was approached by a young Dutchman from the Resistance demanding to know why they had stopped as the Germans had just left the neighbouring town of Boxmeer. Unable to risk moving his vehicles, he borrowed a bike from a nearby inn and cycled into the town to establish that the enemy had indeed left.

Promoted to lieutenant that October, during leave in Brussels he spotted, in a shop window, a photograph of himself in an armoured car just after liberation. The shopkeeper promptly gave him the image as a gift. After the war he was decorated as a Ridder — a knight — in the Dutch Order of Oranje-Nassau, and returned to Boxmeer in to celebrate the 50th anniversary of its liberation, laying a wreath from his old regiment at the war memorial and giving a short talk recalling his arrival in the area.

In the early spring of , after the successful Allied assault on the Rhine, his squadron crossed the river and came under the command of the British 6th Airborne Division. He and his troop led the advance of the division for several days. While personally under heavy enemy fire, he carried out reconnaissance missions to identify enemy positions which were hindering the advance.

This fearless action won him the Military Cross. He continued across northern Germany to Hanover and on reaching the River Aller, a German officer, proffering a white flag, arranged a short local truce to prevent fighting close to the Belsen concentration camp where inmates were dying of typhus. Whilst the victory in Europe had been won, the Allies were still fighting the Japanese and that summer Mitchell was preparing to leave for a potential assault on Malaya.

After being demobbed, with the rank of captain, in October he began his modern history degree at Brasenose College, meeting his future wife, Ann, the same month. She told him she had worked for the Foreign Office and it was not until 30 years later, when the information was declassified, that he discovered she had worked on decryption at Bletchley Park.

He also volunteered for a time with the Territorial Army and was given a commission in the Intelligence Corps. He held various posts in the Scottish Office in Edinburgh and London. He was also principal private secretary to the Secretary of State for Scotland, Jack Maclay, and was involved in organising many Royal visits, for which he was made a CVO in That same year he attended the state funeral of Sir Winston Churchill.

In he was promoted again and returned to the SED as Secretary with responsibility for schools, further education, arts, museums, sport and social work. In his 70s he began volunteering for Family Care, now known as Birthlink, an organisation to help those who have been adopted or fostered to search for their biological families. For a decade he spent a day each month on searches at New Register House and another day or so compiling a report, including a short family tree and recent address of a close relative.

Common surnames sometimes complicated the search, in one case throwing up 15 potential birth mothers with the same name, six of whom were approached before the right one was found. It was the most satisfying aspect of his voluntary work, often rewarded with news of a happy reunion. In the s he and Ann bought a property in west Fife which included the ruined 17th century Bath Castle.

They are now a special resource for publishing studies students at Stirling University. From long-living stock — his father died at 97, his mother was — in he put his memoirs down on paper for his family after writing an article for his church magazine, How To Die in Nine Easy Lessons, comprising practical advice on preparing for the inevitable, but declared he had no intention of succumbing just yet. He continued for a few more years but although mentally alert — he was interviewed for television about his wartime experiences just a few months before his death — his mobility was severely impaired by myositis, a degenerative muscular condition which caused him to gradually lose control of his limbs.

He is survived by his devoted wife Ann to whom he was married for 69 years, their four children, Jonathan, Charlotte, Catherine and Andrew, and six grandchildren. Sir Gerald Elliot was born in His father was a naval surgeon and his mother was the granddaughter of Christian Salvesen, who founded the firm. He went to prep school in Edinburgh before coming to Marlborough College in After leaving Marlborough, he enlisted in the Indian Army where he learnt to speak Urdu and Punjabi and to play the bagpipes!

He rose to the rank of Captain. When he left the army, he went to New College Oxford, for which he had won a scholarship prior to his time in the army, to read philosophy, politics and economics. He was persuaded to join the family company, Christian Salvesen, in and was made partner in He was Managing Director from and chairman from until he retired in He even spent four seasons on a whaling ship in the seas of South Georgia in his early years at the firm.

He worked closely with the International Whaling Commission on conserving whaling stock and with the Soviet authorities on quota agreements in the s. He wrote a book on the history of whaling in which he expressed his passion for the industry citing countries who signed up to quotas but did not stick to them as the cause of its demise. The company stopped whaling in and, under his leadership, the company diversified into North Sea drilling, trawlers and refrigeration systems for food storage and delivery.

In , they acquired the power generating business, Aggreko. He maintained his links to South Georgia and unwittingly played a part in the outbreak of the Falklands war when he sold, with UK government approval, two whaling platforms in Leith Port, South Georgia for scrap to an Argentina firm. The scrap metal firm were infiltrated by Argentine marines who then occupied the site, raised the Argentinian flag and invaded both South Georgia and the Falklands within two weeks. Sir Gerald and his wife gave significant support to the arts in Scotland and were presented with the Prince of Wales Medal for Arts Philanthropy in He was the Chairman of Scottish Opera from to After his retirement, he continued his passion for languages, adding to his repertoire of Spanish, Norwegian, Urdu and Punjabi by learning Persian and Arabic.

He was also a generous benefactor to Marlborough College, his most recent gift supporting the restoration of the Memorial Hall. Sir Gerald is survived by his wife, Margaret his three children, nine grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

The College has lost one of its great scientific alumni. Though not a household name, in astrophysics he was one of the leading names of his generation. He is best known for his idea that most massive galaxies contain super-massive black holes at their cores and that these black holes power Quasars.

Donald was President of the RAS when I was at University and was the first Director of the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge from whence he came to act as my external examiner for my astronomy and astrophysics Honours thesis viva and from when we became good friends. He was always enthusiastic and loved mathematical puzzles. His ability to tackle fiendish problems always left me in awe. He was larger than life, friendly and supportive and a giant in his field.

Of his time at Marlborough College, he had fond memories and praised his maths and physics teachers, though admitted that he never really got involved at the observatory. Donald never really recovered from a stroke last year and after a short stay in hospital died peace fully at home near Cambridge where he had spent his whole working life.

He is survived by his wife Ruth, Professor of Chemistry in Cambridge, with whom he had two children. Obituary by C. His father Archibald was descended from several generations of Fifeshire miners. He was named after the Philps who were apparently philanthropists in the area. I was told there was a statue of a Hodge in or around Kirkcaldy but that has failed to materialize.

He was sent to board at St Peters Weston Super mare, being the same prep school attended by Roald Dahl but thought the great author was rather unkind about the headmaster. Boxing and diving were his best sporting activities. Although the advice of the headmaster was that he should go to Radley a suitable choice for a shy boy, my grandfather knew Jumbo Jennings, the future Registrar and he went to Marlborough.

This was wartime. There was the dread of bad news which had to be managed by staff. House captains left never to return. There were no doors on the lavatories. It was Spartan. I started there 16 years after he left. There was little difference. I had the same beaks and the same door less loos.

Flogging continued but father would have missed the pinko politics. His was not another country as far as I was concerned. Duty prevailed over rights. He was not keen on History or team games although without knowing it he was a team player unlike my lot where the aim is to be in the team regardless of self-sacrifice Maybe he was put off by his fellow prep school boys running around throwing cricket balls saying I am Larwood.

He excelled at French and German all requiring the natural discipline that would be a feature of his later life. Jumbo Jennings was delighted in my time to be caught by my father reading Ovid in the back of his car at Devizes Station. Father was not so lucky with his relationship with his housemaster if his parting words in are anything to go by.

The housemaster summoned him back but that was the end. He was still at the school during my time but I kept my distance. We were both very happy at Marlborough. He went up to Oxford, where he befriended Christopher French another shy studious man, who at that time remained below the radar.

At 18 he joined the army as a junior officer in the Grenadiers, a life changing experience. The military liked immaculate and disciplined men like my father but he was due to meet a completely different collection of individuals. His knowledge of French and German enabled him to become a war crimes investigator from the age of 19 to You would pick him out as a former guards officer.

He is very stiff-backed.. He is always well prepared and extremely studious. Father in his understated way had similar attributes. He too was to succumb very soon after the trial to dementia. Father was based in Baden Baden as liaison officer to the French zone but the biggest bonus was the rations French, British and American. He was answerable to my future godfather and nightclub king, who styled himself Major Peter Davies of London and Alexandria.

First though there was the little issue of Berlin The Russians were there first but father was in the first jeep in there. We used to have a selection of iron crosses but these seemed to disappear when my friends the Vermin came to stay from Cambridge. One wonders if The German government or the Hitler family will demand restitution. Investigation methods were eccentric to say the least. SS reunions would take place as black tie and dinner jacket occasions when out from behind the curtains would emerge my 19 year old father with a set of handcuffs.

Then there was Hornets, a fairly lowly fellow in the food chain of Nazi War criminals. Hoenitz was to be arrested in the dead of night in this village. Peter and my father had a pencil drawing of Hoenitz who at the material time was in bed with his girlfriend. There were no lights. Peter struck a match so that they could compare the drawing to the man. They slipped the handcuffs on him and off they went through the woods.

However, the local villagers were not pleased and there was a rumpus. Hoenitz got away to be recovered by the large and menacing Peter Davies. This was April nearly one year after the German surrender. They pursued this trio. His grandson did the same at the same age but luckily did not make the wiltshire News. Father liked rolling tanks but his parents would not have known.

Anyway Hornetz went to the gallows and that was that. There were trips to Switzerland to interview various suspects and offers of Mercedes. Father got his exercise as he swam the Rhine at Bonn and walked in the Black Forest. The future nightclub king of the Saddle room in Park lane was brought up in the Wirral. A childhood friend of his was Diana Pratt, who had two daughters. They encountered each other again either in post wartime London or Liverpool. Diana said she was off to a place called Baden Baden.

Peter said he was going too. Our futures were sealed. My parents met and indulged in what might be described as a courtship in the Black Forest in Marriage may have been discussed because my mother would tell me from time to time that father, who was under 21 , had to seek the consent of his parents in Devizes, who were not keen and only gave in at the very end. Father was apparently sitting on the roof at Widdington in Devizes. He learnt to ski on mount Feldberg. He had several daredevil qualities; whereas my mother was the only person I knew who would go down the mountain in a ski lift.

His love of horses and riding stayed with him throughout his life. His innate discipline and riding skills made him very popular in the Hunt as he did not annoy the Field masters, which I frequently did because I could not control my horse. It was Davies, who was alleged to have been married to a Turkish woman Semiramis and subsequently obtained a talaq divorce and who introduced him to eastern religion.

Davies moved around with his eastern thoughts and when I last saw him aged 21 he seemed to be following a fellow called Puck Subud. Father though took to the Vedanta, a form of Hindu philosophy that stayed with him for the remainder of his life. Ever since I can recall i. There were elements of reincarnation but the main thing I believe I understood was the diminution of the ego.

This was all pretty secretive and not something I ever ventured to discuss as I felt it out of bounds. Father was not a figure I ever wanted to challenge but I really thought his main guru Swami Ghanananda was a saintly man. He had some wild friends in the army who continued to be wild when I knew them in my teens and early twenties at the dinner table and would not have gone down well with my grandparents. I remember the excitement in April when my parents returned to the Tirol for the first time for thirteen years and they heard Charles was in Innsbruck.

Lubbock would ask his colleagues if they were descended from a saint. Lubbock a Bob Hope character was on his 5th wife when I knew him. Peter Davies and Lubbock both went on record as being snobs which did not faze my father because he was happy doing the things he liked with his horses, skis and dogs.

There is a flip side to snobbery that involves pride in high standards and loyalty. I notice from the picture on the front that his shoes are immaculately whereas you can see the filth on the shoes of the prep school boy standing in front of him. There are photographs of my grandfather appearing at a funeral in evening dress instead of morning dress much to the amusement of my father.

I mention this because father was now in a completely different milieu to his parents, who had their set pews in the churches in Devizes usually at the front if I recall the position properly. Although my grandfather fought throughout the whole of the Great War as an officer his brother uncle Jim, the former MP and barrister, held in contempt for his activities.

The idea of my mother, a married woman with two daughters, snobby regiments and eastern religion would not have gone down well and father had to go underground to practise his religion just like the recusants in reformation times. Discharge from the army meant father had to get a job.

Father worked for Andre Morariev in advertising in London but tragedy struck when in March my eldest half-sister Maryvon died in Putney and my half-sister Brigitte were removed to France never to return until Christmas They had had enough and bought a farm in Devon called Coltsfoot in the time of the depression in agriculture.

It was at this point that contact had to be made with my grandparents, who came down to Coltsfoot and persuaded my father that he was doing no good and should qualify as a solicitor. They moved to the Lodge at Steeple Ashton in These were good years as far as my recollection goes.

We had stables. Gerald Balding, the trainer in Bishops Cannings lent him a racehorse Prince for a season. He bicycled to Devizes to work so that my mother could have the car, rode with the Olympic team in Porlock, hunted with the Avon Vale and took the dogs rabbiting on the aerodrome. My recollection of him as a solicitor in those days was as a disciplined advocate, who wore smart suits, as well as being disciplined on his paperwork. He was best suited to defending criminals because he had the respect of the court.

He may have been reckless in his physical activities but was a safe pair of hands in his legal career. He lived in the shadow of his father, who was the First freeman of Devizes as I lived in his shadow lacking the secure hinterland of his eastern philosophy and having no side to him. His good manners aided his advocacy , which was good because of his innate self-control. He did not need acting ability to aid his presentational skills.

For my part I had no natural discipline or acting abilities that have skipped a generation. We were all very happy to live in the shadow of the next generation. It could have applied to any of us and this pastoral side of the job is fulfilling although we are told judges are not keen on deathbed wills. Sometimes I have had to tell a dying woman that her plans are not sensible and bring her into line even when on oxygen.

If we did not get it right then a certain Mr Price, not Vincent nor Denis but Oliver, could challenge our wills. We also scattered ashes together. Finally it was dementia that killed him. He died with Jennifer holding his hand and me present with his dog Harriet.

Having been present at three births by her side it was good to have her support at the death and we cannot thank Jackie and Dauntsey House for the dignity that he maintained to the end without losing the ability to recognise those who were important to him or go to the lavatory on his own without aid. He spent life trying not to get noticed but loyally supporting anyone who needed that support. We were lucky to have him but I still do not know him. One is left with a feeling of gross inadequacy.

Michael Hodge LI Sir Henry Brooke LI 07 February The former lord justice of appeal, Sir Henry Brooke, who has died following cardiac surgery aged 81, was a tireless campaigner for improving access to justice and transformed his retirement into an opportunity to speak out on legal causes. After stepping down from the bench in following a distinguished career, he achieved prominence as a passionate advocate for much-needed reform of the justice system: he served as vice-chair of the Labour party-supported Bach Commission on Access to Justice , drafting significant sections of the resulting report that called for a legally enforceable right to justice and legal aid.

He blogged and tweeted regularly about rulings, politics and friendships in succinct commentary, sharpened by decades of delivering judgments. He chaired the Law Commission from to During his career Brooke developed interests in both modern technology and racial equality before the law.

He regarded his Kapila lecture, The Administratrion of Justice in a Multi-Cultural Society, which documented racial discrimination in the courts, as one of his finest professional achievements. His father, Henry Brooke, was home secretary in the s under Harold Macmillan and Alec Douglas-Home, and his mother, Barbara nee Mathews , was a councillor and public servant; both became life peers. His elder brother, Peter Lord Brooke of Sutton Mandeville , was the Northern Ireland secretary of state credited with initiating the peace process.

He was called to the bar in and joined the Inner Temple. No one, who does not have a rigid self-discipline, could achieve even half of the contribution that Henry Brooke makes. Brooke maintained his commitment to transparency and to the uses of technology to the end of his life, tweeting ahead of cardiac surgery that his son, Nick, would post an update the following day.

He married Bridget Kalaugher in She survives him, along with their four children, Michael, Nick, Christopher and Caroline. With thanks to The Guardian who gave permission to reprint. The original can be seen on The Guardian website.

Photograph: Stefi Orazi Neave Brown C1 , who has died aged 88, was the architect of what is widely considered the finest housing built in Britain in the last 50 years. In the s, through a series of housing projects in Camden, north London, of increasing scale — first five houses Winscombe Street , then 72 Fleet Road , then Alexandra Road — he demonstrated a street-based alternative to high-rise housing that was immediately acclaimed both in Britain and abroad.

But then in the s and 80s, when the reaction against the welfare state set in, he was left high and dry, and it was solely in mainland Europe that he was to build further projects. What distinguished Brown as an architect of housing was that the technical ingenuity of his planning was matched by his passionate empathy for the people who would be living in the homes he designed.

His flat and house plans were a masterpiece of compression, with not an inch of space wasted — allowing him to create in Britain, within the space and cost constraints of local authority housing, interiors that felt remarkably open and spacious. But these plans he saw not as an end in themselves but as the setting which the various residents would take and use as they wished.

This humanistic quality was fundamental to his approach. Neave was born in Utica, New York, into a wealthy Anglo-American family — his British father, Percy, was a businessman and his American mother, Beatrice, worked in publishing. He was educated in the US at Bronxville high school, New York, and the UK Marlborough college, and won a place at Oxford University to read English; but while doing his military service he decided to switch to architecture and applied to the Architectural Association, where he studied from until After graduating, he worked for three years at Lyons Israel Ellis — the pre-eminent training ground at the time in London for high-flying young architects — and then for a short time for Middlesex county council, before setting up his own practice, which he combined with teaching in the UK at the AA and Cambridge University and the US Cornell University.

At this point he designed his first built scheme, a group of five houses in north London for a co-op that he and four of his friends set up for the purpose. On the basis of the Winscombe Street project, Brown was hired by Cook. Camden was one of the richest of the newly formed London boroughs and its ambition was in line with its resources: namely, to be the flagship borough. For Cook, charged with delivering up to 1, dwellings a year, this meant bringing in the best young talent that the London architectural world had to offer.

At this time, in the mids, the housing being built by local authorities often included tower blocks, the defects of which for family homes were already becoming apparent. At his first scheme for Camden, Fleet Road now Dunboyne Road , designed in , Brown showed that there was no need to build high in order to achieve the prescribed densities. As in Bloomsbury or Pimlico, the dwellings were in rows entered directly from the street and every dwelling had its own open-to-the-sky external space; and as with a Georgian square, the 1.

Sensing a PR disaster, in the councillors had set up a public inquiry that they hoped would lay the blame on the architect; but when the inquiry, commissioned by Camden from the National Building Agency, was finally completed two years later, the finger was pointed not at the architect but at the councillors.

As a result the report was quickly buried, but the fact that Brown had been the subject of a public inquiry, and that it had lasted so long, did irreparable damage to his reputation as a practising architect, and when he left Camden he found there was no work for him in the UK. Instead he designed exhibitions including two at the Hayward Gallery for the Arts Council — Le Corbusier in and Thirties British Art and Design in and found work abroad, teaching in Germany as professor at Karlsruhe University and designing projects in Italy Bergamo and, particularly, the Netherlands at The Hague and Eindhoven.

Of these the Eindhoven project, the Medina, completed in , was his final project and also, to many, his final masterwork. In person Brown was always polite and courteous, with the apparel and demeanour of an artist; but it took only a few minutes of conversation for the penetrative power of his intellect to become apparent.

As his public performances demonstrated, both the charisma of his personality and the lucidity of his thinking remained undimmed to the last. They lived in the Cotswold village of Minchinhampton where his father was in general practice with his surgery in the house. The twins arrived at Marlborough in the Lent term Three months younger, I came to the College in the summer term and we became friends virtually at once. He then tried to guess which was which.

Jeremy went on to C1, and Jonathon to B1, and it was Jeremy who became my lifelong friend. Musical ability was encouraged at MC. His piano teacher was M. Marshall, known as Mom, and through him, he was drawn in particular to the French composers Debussy and Ravel.

I often accompanied Jeremy to the practice rooms below the Memorial Hall and, with my slight facility with reading music, I tried to turn the pages at the correct moment.

Greenock telegraph sports personality of the year betting reinvesting dividends and capital gains greenock telegraph sports personality of the year betting

Question interesting, nairabet mobile betting are mistaken

Other materials on the topic

  • Betting tips guru mantra dj
  • 5 fold betting explained
  • Horse betting calculator win place show payout
  • Buy itc crypto
  • Betfair com cricket betting india
  • Multi currency wallet cryptowall
  • 1 comments к “Greenock telegraph sports personality of the year betting

    Add a comment

    Your e-mail will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Jack Shepard, the program as to print. Can't these not ID into.